The Wellington Basin in Montréal is one of the properties that Canada Lands Company acquired from Transport Canada in 2010. Canada Lands Company owns half the sector, which is bound by Mill Street, Bridge Street, the Peel Basin and the new REM (Réseau express métropolitain) line—an area of 8.5 hectares (20.5 acres).
This industrial site has been in use since 1820. It was the location of Tate’s Dry Dock and was an important area for the livestock industry. It was also the location of the Wellington Basin itself, which, before it was mostly filled in, was the Lachine Canal’s largest basin and used primarily for the transshipment of coal. The site is now largely vacant, the only remaining industrial use being a flour mill.
In early 2020, the Office de consultation publique de Montréal completed a public consultation process for the broader Bridge-Bonaventure area that included this site. One of the OCPM’s key recommendations was the development of the Wellington Basin area into a mixed-use district. Canada Lands Company is actively participating in a working table led by the City of Montréal aimed at creating a strategic vision for this area.